by M. Polier
MY WEEK WITH MARILYN/THE WEINSTEIN COMPANY
U.S. Release Date: December 23, 2011
DIRECTOR: SIMON CURTIS
- Michelle as Marilyn was better than anything you could ever have imagined…
- Eddie Redmayne, Judi Dench, Emma Watson, Kenneth Branagh, Julia Ormond, Dominic Cooper, the entire supporting cast, was absolutely as great as she was. They were truly supporting in the best sense…
- The script, the direction, the music, all AAA+
- It’s hard to find a flaw, but I guess if you push me, I’d have to admit that the makeup on Kenneth/Sir Laurence was forced. His lips are so naturally similar to Larry’s he really didn’t need the extra Hollywood exaggeration…
- I did not read Colin Clark’s book, or see anything but excerpts from The Prince and the Showgirl, so if you are a purist you might see flaws I did not see.
- Well, it is hard to admit a flaw in the portrayal…but truth be told, Michelle put Marilyn right there behind her eyes, when all of us who remember, know that Marilyn always kept her soul a buried safe distance away from the surface of them.
FINAL VERDICT: It’s a little slice of heaven when a movie can be this close to perfect and transport you body and soul to another time and place. Go see it fast…before everyone’s comments have a chance to remove any magic…you don’t want to cheat yourself. There is real magic up on this movie screen.
Marilyn: “Shall I be her?” Colin: “Who?” Marilyn: “Marilyn!”
Paula: “Marilyn is not ready!” Marilyn: “Excuse my horrible face…”
Marilyn: “Are you frightened of me, Colin?” Colin: “ No” Marilyn: “Good, because I like you.”
Dave said, “Wow, that was amazing. She’ll get nominated for sure.” Yes, Dave, and I believe she’ll win….